Film Production Tips: The Production And Post-Production Stages
Here we go again! More tips on the film production process. We talked about Pre-production before. Now we are progressing to the next two stages Production and Post-production.
ProductionProduction is the act of making something. The Production stage in the film-making process is where the filming takes place. The stage has the following departments and crew to add to those from the Pre-production stage.
- PRODUCTION DESIGN: Production designers, set Decorator, Props Master, Costume Designer; Makeup artist and Hairstylist
- SOUND: Sound Designer, Sound Mixer, and Boom Operator
- CINEMATOGRAPHY:Cinematographer or Director of Photography, Camera operator, Clapper loader, Gaffer, Best Boy, Key Grip
Post-ProductionPost-Production means final touching. It is where the editing takes place, that is: the cutting and blending of the images and sounds.. This stage has the following departments and crew to add to those from Pre-production and Production stages:
- EDITING: Editor, Supervising Editor, Titles Designer
- SOUND: Sound Editor, Sound Effects Editor, Foley Artist, Music Supervisor, Composer
- VISUAL EFFECTS: Visual Effects Supervisor, Technical Director, Visual effect Artist, Animator
Film Production Process: an understanding in a simple illustration.
- The pre-production stage is like listing the items you need if you want to bake a bread.
- The production stage is like buying the items and bringing them in the kitchen.
- The Post-Production stage is like Mixing the items together and putting in the oven. Then when it is ready, you remove and serve on the table (Distribution).
Some Important notes
- Make sure to get the right casts and crew.
- Rehearse a scene for some times before filming.
- Check the scenes you shoot : images and sounds before you proceed to the next scene.
- Make sure to record the sounds of each location before you leave the place.
- Always have back-up drives to save your project